Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Kelades: Sussex athlete to professional fighter (Published in Kings County Record May 27, 2014)




Chris Kelades a PK (Pastor’s Kid), who lived in Sussex from age 5-15, has made his way into the world of professional mixed martial arts fighting.  He recently answered a few questions about this great passon of his.   Chris, 130 pounds with a height of five feet six inches, has had six wins that include two Technical Knock Outs, three Submission wins and one Decision win.  With only one loss by Decision,  this makes Chris’ fighting accolades rather impressive.  Other than MMA, Chris has competed in many Brazilian jiu-jitsu and grappling tournaments.

Michelle: How did you get into the sport?
Chris: I got into MMA through Brazilian jiu-jitsu. I had seen a write up in our local paper about a guy who was teaching Brazilian jiu-jitsu and fighting in MMA. I tried a class and was hooked.

Michelle: What is your favorite strike/submission to use in a fight?
Chris: I don’t have a particularly favorite move or strike; however I really like the grappling aspect of fighting. The ground game is what got me started in fighting.

Michelle: Who is your biggest inspiration?
Chris:  I've never really had only one particular person that I use for inspiration. I think I take a little bit from a lot of people, family, friends and training partners. Anyone can give you some form of inspiration or support you need given the right timing.

Michelle: What is your all-time favorite fight?
Chris: I have seen a lot of great fights, I can't just name one!  I enjoy it so much as soon as I watch a fight it becomes another of my favorites.  Off the top of my head Matt Brown vs. Erick Silva, Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson & Mark Hunt vs. Antonio Bigfoot Silva stand out as some of my favorites. 

Michelle: What is your all-time favorite fight that you have fought?
Chris:  I would have to say that my last fight would probably be the one I enjoyed the most. It was with Bellator MMA, which next to the UFC is one of the biggest promotions. I was given the fight on very short notice (8days) so it was a scramble to be prepared as much as possible. It may sound crazy to say that this was my favorite fight because it’s the one I lost, but there were a lot of things that I did which boosted my confidence and you always learn from these experiences even if they are a loss.   

Michelle: What team are you training with?
Chris: I train with Fitplus Martial Arts in Cole Harbour NS. I moved there about 4 years ago and have been training with them ever since.

Michelle: Do you like to stand with your opponents or take them to the ground?
Chris:  Like I mentioned earlier, I really like the ground game but it's always fun to stand and throw down with someone too. Really though, knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your opponent allows you to make an educated decision on your fight strategies. 

Michelle:  What does it mean (for you) to be a fighter?
Chris:  I love to fight but it is a huge sacrifice to be fully committed to MMA as a professional. I wouldn't say that being a fighter is my only identity but it definitely fulfills me and holds a big part of my life right now.

Michelle:  What separates you from the other fighters in your division?
Chris:  I think what separates me is my mental state when I fight. I'm very calm and collected. I don't see the use in wasting energy getting worked up like a lot of other fighters do. In this sport it's such an adrenaline filled activity that it can be very easy to lose a lot of energy quickly if you’re not careful.
Also the fact that I train in all areas of fighting makes me comfortable in every possible situation.

Michelle:  If you could have one dream fight with anyone who would it be?
Chris smiling: Wow that's a loaded question. I want to fight as many of the best guys in my division to test myself as far as I can and grow!
 If we're talking craziness that dreams are made of then I would say BJ Penn from UFC, he's been my favorite fighter for a long time and I really admire him. So to be able to fight someone like him that would be an amazing experience.

Michelle:  As you know I mostly write about Pro Wrestling so I have to ask have you ever been a fan of Pro Wrestling.
Chris:  I was definitely a wrestling fan when I was a kid growing up. My brother and I would be tag team partners Ax and Smash of Demolition. We would get together with all our friends and beat the crap out of each other.

Michelle:  There is many Pro Wrestlers that have been part of MMA in the past, Alberto Del Rio, and Brock Lesnar to name a few. In your opinion are there any similarities in Pro Wrestling and MMA?
Chris:  Pro wrestlers are tremendous athletes and a lot of them have backgrounds in other sports which lend to their abilities for MMA, grappling or any martial art.

Michelle:  There is often a shared fan base for MMA and Pro Wrestling, do you think that Pro Wrestlers that crossover to MMA are taken seriously?
Chris:  I think that anyone who steps into professional MMA and treats it professionally should be taken seriously, Pro Wrestlers included. MMA is a very young sport; if you are a good athlete you can learn a lot of the strategies quickly.  Some people jump right in and have success.  However, there is a new breed of fighters that are so highly trained in all aspects of Martial arts that it's going to become more and more difficult in the future for people to jump in at that high of a level.

Michelle:  Chris what is one of your fondest memories of Sussex, NB?
Chris: My fondest memories of Sussex would be hanging out with friends and playing sports. When we weren't tied up in organized sports we would be finding anyway we could to play some activity or game. In the winter time our dad would build an ice rink for us to play hockey on and in the summer we would find any yard or field big enough for us to get a bunch of people together and play baseball.

Chris is the son of Pastor Chuck and Eva Kelades formally of Evangel Assembly, Sussex.  I caught up with some of his old friends here in Sussex, the general consensus was that Chris was well liked.   
Be sure to check out Chris at:
                    http://m.sherdog.com/fighter/Chris-Kelades-51576
                    Facebook Chris Kelades
                    Twitter: @keladesmma

Thanks for the interview Chris!  I hope your future in MMA finds you grappling to lots of wins! 



No comments:

Post a Comment