Thursday, July 14, 2011

Medication Mishaps!

Well I have a tendency for urinary tract infection. Not a fun deal for anyone who has encountered such an infection. Well, I had one in March and I had a reaction to the drug they gave me. It made me crazy itchy to the tune of even the roof of my mouth being itchy. Have you ever had frozen feet and when they thaw they have the burning itching feeling well my whole body felt like that including the inside of my mouth. Another symptom was being sick to my stomach so consider for a moment what that means, Urinary tract infection, body itching and stomach sick…it was safe to say I was not I repeat NOT in party mode!!! Well I have tried to track the misinformation I received regarding that drug back in March which has led me to yet another INCIDENT! As far as I can figure the girl passing me the drugs (not the pharmacist but the cashier that works in the pharmacy) said drink lots of water because Sulfur drugs are hard on the system. So I not being a pharmacist or a doctor assumed that what I took and had a reaction to was a sulfur drug…can you see where I’m going with this. Jump ahead to last week HORRAY for me I had yet another urinary tract infection so I go to my own doctor not out patients where the previous prescribed drug with its negative reaction was given. I haven’t seen my doctor in at least 2 years because I never go to the doctor. So I say to her I have a urinary tract infection and I believe I’m allergic to sulfur drugs now and tell her the details of my March experience. Well she tests and I did have an infection and she says well I won’t give you sulfur drugs I will give you Macrobid twice a day for seven days and fix you up. So I noticed early in that I was having a little bit of similar reactions to this “NEW” non-sulfur drug she gave me. Well I thought, I must be being paranoid because surly I’m not allergic to all drugs now!!! Well by Friday night I was laying on my bed with chills and a fever, again something I attempted to dismiss as I couldn’t somebody’s bug at the office. Saturday evening I did a candle party and just go back home and trough the door when I started puking! Again it was a bug from the office and nothing to do with the drugs I was taking for my infections. Saturday night I slept very little and Sunday night not at all and Monday night I went to out patients where Dr G Xidos gave me a shot of liquid form steroids and 2 Ativan to make me sleep through the itching and 2 prescriptions to get filled the next day. Well the next day was Tuesday and the prescriptions were filled and I had to see my family Dr at 4pm. While at the Doctor’s office I made the discovery that my March drug wasn’t at all a sulfur drug but the exact drug my doctor gave me a week earlier. You see at Lawtons they print off this little sheet with recently taken drugs and March and July medication was, exactly the same drug. So where ever sulfur drugs came in to play I’m not sure but I didn’t have sulfur drugs nor was I allergic to sulfur drugs. However Macrobid I AM ALLERGIC to!!! BIG TIME! So I am on Prednisone for four days and Hydroxzine as well. So if you see me and I seem like I’m a little foggy or groggy I am. I’m not used to taking medication and it seems to make me just want to sleep. However tomorrow is my last day of Prednisone and the others are as needed. So the bottom line is be careful what you take and make sure what you think you are taking is what you are actually taking. And if you are feeling any symptoms from the drug get to the doctor!!! JUST SAYING!

1 comment:

  1. Krista Curtis wow scary huh....could have been soooo much worse be careful!!!

    Dione Wright uggg....glad to hear you are on the road to feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete