Monday, February 13, 2012

I GIVE YOU MY LOVE....


Well tomorrow is Valentine's Day how are you going to show your loved ones you love them on the day of love! How do you show your loved ones on a regular basis you love them. Do you ever find yourself loving someone but not liking them overly well. Or liking someone you don't really love. You say MICHELLE what are you saying, stop and take account of your heart and feelings and tell me I'm wrong. Love is truly a job. It would be nice to take a best selling romance novel and say that is just how love is and I'm going to hope, pray and believe for that! Hmmmm....sorry to disappoint you! Love is a J-O-B job and some take their job of loving you very seriously while others take it far too lightly.

Robert Munsch in one of my favourite kids stories says: I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always as long as I'm living. . . There are some that can understand that statement. No matter what, no matter the ups and the downs our kids are our kids and we will love them always & forever. I don't know if we will like them every day of their lives but we will always love them and always support them! However, I'm not talking specifically love for our children, our spouse or a specific loved one. I'm talking specifically about if we say we love then we have some guidelines to how that love should look.

The most popular portion of scripture read at weddings is the love chapter found in 1 Corinthians 13. All those starry eyed husbands and wives - to - be smile at each other while this portion of scripture is being read....I wonder if they actually listen to it! It says nothing about a fairy tale it talks about work and for those who choose love even though it's work it's the greatest blessing of all times. For love to work both have to have the attributes of love. One can't carry the other. Oh they can and have for a lot of years but eventually the one loving (scriptually loving for two) eventually burns out and is left loveless and disillusioned.

You see that warm and fuzzy love chapter tells us that in order for love to work & grow it needs to be...
Patient (How patient am I how patient are you with those you LOVE)
Kind (How kind am I how kind are you to those you LOVE are you kinder to those in your home than strangers on the street or your boss or your preacher)
Love isn't jealous (am I jealous of those I love are you jealous of those you love)
Love doesn't sing it's own praises (Hmmm do I have to toot my own horn do you)
Love isn't arrogant (am I a “I'm better than you” type with those I LOVE are you)
Love isn't rude (am I rude to those I love, are you? Again I ask; are you more polite to those outside your home or to those in your home that you love?)
Love doesn't think about itself (Who do I think of more myself or you, what about you?)
Love isn't irritable (Am I more crabby to my loved ones than I would dare be to a stranger, are you?)
Love doesn't keep track of wrongs (This is honestly a tough one because remember that one time when you did that one thing that really hurt me??? You know what I'm saying! Are you keeping score?)
Love isn't happy when injustice is done, but is happy with the truth (I could rant for days about injustice but this is a time for love)
LOVE NEVER STOPS BEING PATIENT, NEVER STOPS BELIEVING, NEVER STOPS HOPING, NEVER GIVES UP!

In Romans 13 Paul again talks about love saying we can fulfil the 10 Commandments by doing this one thing....LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOU LOVE YOURSELF. So basically a simple truth: do to others what you would have them do to you. Treat people how you would like to be treated. Love isn't the easiest road but it is the greatest! So when you go to buy that card or chocolates or pair of shoes....remember if you are declaring your love for someone it comes with responsibility!

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment