Monday, May 2, 2011

This is another one of my favs……it’s comfort food for me baby!!!

Cape Breton Oat Cakes
By Michelle Carmichael…..step aside Tims is all I got to say!

Makes 6-7 dozen

3 cups rolled oats
3 cups of flour
½ cup of brown sugar
½ tsp of salt
½ tsp baking soda
2 cups of shortening
½ cup of cold water
Preheat oven to 350
Combine rolled oats, flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in shortening or work it in with your hands until dough is manageable.
Moisten with cold water. Roll out to about ¼ inch thick using rolled oats on the board to prevent the dough from sticking. Cut into squares/diamonds. Bake for 15 mins on ungreased cookie sheet.

3 comments:

  1. Eileen MacDonald Can the shortening and brown sugar be replaced with something else a bit healthier?

    Michelle Carmichael Well I've never tried it but you could look it up on line for substitutes for brown sugar maybe honey and apple sauce for shortening but you would have to use less of both. . . .let me know if you check it out and try it.

    Kim Parsons Hum , I'll try them , bring some tomorrow , YIKES

    Mike MacCormack We love oat cakes but can't buy them out here :-(
    We'll have to try the recipe!!

    Michelle Carmichael I hope they turn out for you Mike. I love them with butter on them and a big cup of tea.

    Andy Steeves love Love LOVE Oatcakes!!! :)))

    Michelle Carmichael Me too!!!! Who in their right mind doesn't !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret Birnie Are these the same, or similar to Scottish oatcakes ?

    Janice Noël thanks for posting Andy. I ate these in Cape Breton and just loved them - now I can make them!

    Deanne Akerley- Harrison Are these the same as Archie made?

    Michelle Carmichael I don't know! Who's Archie did he used to work at CYS? I think it was before my time.....

    Michelle Carmichael Yes Margaret they are similar to Scottish oatcakes....

    Lynne Gaunce I love Oat cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret Birnie Excellent. I'll try them sometime.

    Cynthia Bolduc good luck with that!!!

    ReplyDelete