Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Two weeks later…

Yes, yes it’s been 14 whole days since my last blog, what up with that???
Well 9 of those days I had 3 children home so that explains a lot of it. Then there is the work and school work thing. Thus the reason I WANT MARCH BREAK FOR ME! I’m sitting trying to come up with something clever but the reality is I’ve survived the last 2 weeks. I’m still breathing and still kicking so I consider myself a hero of sorts. There is a scripture in the Bible that says not to be weary in well doing. Well despite that good advice I still some days not all days but some get a tad weary in the well doing. When you are born a helper and a people pleaser you tend to burn yourself out with the well doing. Then you get all crazy and rebellious and want to go do your own thing and forget all the obligations you’ve “righteously” (WINK WINK) bestowed upon yourself!!! So in the past 2 weeks you really wouldn’t of had to pay me too darn much to make me run away and be free. You would of just had to offer me some free time and of course the opportunity to sit on the shore and look at the waves crash. When ever I get all burned out and over tired I always, always begin to dream of home. I long to get to the shore and stair at the waves and make my world right again. When I get tired I so miss Cape Breton…. If you were to meet me at a gathering and ask me where I was from even though I’ve lived in New Brunswick for almost 17 years of my life I would say hands down I’m a Cape Bretoner! There is a saying we say, “once a Cape Bretoner always a Cape Bretoner” and that’s exactly how I feel. Cape Breton Island has lured me to her shores over and over. I’m hers. No matter where I live who I’m with my mind & heart regularly travels home. It is an amazing place, where the sand and sea air have joined forces with the enchantment of our history to create an indescribable atmosphere.
Cape Breton is located at the eastern extremity of the Gulf of St Lawrence and is a rugged and rough island. Cape Breton Island offers a blend of rocky coastline, mountains, valleys, rivers and lakes and is one of the most remote areas of the province of Nova Scotia.
There is history of Scottish and French settlers, many people still speak Gaelic. The Scottish were attracted to the area as it strongly resembles the Scottish Highlands. It’s rich in Celtic music, site seeing, and friendly people! Natural resources found on the island over the years were coal, and fish, making life on the island simple but the people were hard working, labourers mostly miners and fishermen. Homes were warm and inviting filled with love, commitment and a lot of parties! Everyone was your neighbour if they lived next door or 20 miles away. Everyone is welcoming and friendly. I myself have a Scottish/Irish background in my heritage. I love Gaelic and know very little. My one regret is that I didn’t take a Gaelic course before I left home. It’s funny how we here in NB are Maritimers and NS is Maritimers but I feel there is a cross culture even from province to province. When my mom is out with me (she is almost 76) she will go and make of people and their babies and I kind of steer her away because I can see from the people’s expression that they are thinking; “I don’t know this woman and she is all over us.” In Cape Breton that would be the norm not the exception . So if I figured out one thing to do from province to province is follow suit. The saying, “when in Rome do as the Romans do” is a great saying. If you want to fit in then you need to learn the culture you are in and adapt. Well I guess I’ve ran a little off topic. I went from wanting to run away to going home to the difference between the Island and NB. It’s not that I don’t love my home, my family or NB it’s just that sometimes when I’m weary all I can think about is Cape Breton and how sitting at the shore would magically make everything right within me once again. So if anyone from home would like to send me the shore I would be grateful! Till next blog……

No comments:

Post a Comment