Thursday, October 27, 2011

Jonathan, CAPS, me and everyone else involved.


So as I mentioned in my previous blog Jonathan has been tested by the School Psychology Services.

I need to talk about it and can't really afford a professional so you guys get to hear about it.

Way back when Jonathan was just little and I home schooled Pre School and kindergarten I could tell that my teaching wasn't getting trough to him. I thought & prayed that it was just me that I didn't know how to teach well. (Knowing full well that Josiah had 4 years of me home schooling him and he got along just fine on my skills) Anyway I decided that public school would be the route to take for Jonathan. Because his birthday was in December I decided to put him into Kindergarten when he went opposed to grade one. He was quickly refereed into Resource & Methods to help him with his weak reading and writing skills. Despite many interventions put in place at school he made little to no progress with his reading levels. So he has basically gone from Kindergarten to grade 5 with not a lot of reading and writing success. He was put on the waiting list to see the School Psychology Services and finally in grade 5 has seen them. I have been trying and trying to figure out what his learning difference was! The teachers all knew there was something and what it was not but couldn't really seem to figure out what it was. I tried to jump through hoops to get him to enjoy something anything to do with reading to no avail. So last year I was at a clients home and she was talking about her older daughter (a sibling to the child I was seeing ) and said she was recently diagnosed with CAPS. When she started describing CAPS to me I immediately said that is what Jonathan has. So I came back to work and went to see my friend Sue Pope down stairs who is a speech & language pathologist and said I think Jonathan has CAPS. She was very supportive and gave me some testing to do on him myself. Which confirmed to me that he did have CAPS. She also did a hearing test on him. She even tried to refer him to Dr Tees herself....it didn't fly but it was a very kind hearted attempt to help. So thanks Sue I appreciate you! Jonathan isn't a behavioral problem at school at all. His teachers always say I wish I had 25 Jonathans in my class! As reported he is polite, cooperative, has a great work ethic and is a pleasure to teach. BUT he has great difficulty in reading , writing and following direction and is well below average in these areas. Long story short I was right but it still breaks my heart and just seems to have mentally drained me because I want so bad to fix it for him. So he has a language-based learning disability that impacts on both receptive and expressive language. He has difficulty with letter sounds and using them to read and spell. He has a hard time orally breaking words into sounds, blending sounds into words and storing sounds in short-term memory and retrieving sounds from long-term memory. So he has a ton of recommendations and guide lines for school and home which I find somewhat overwhelming. But here are some things I need to remember....
I feel like I'm on a roller coaster of emotions This is completely normal. Feeling overwhelmed with sadness, anger and grief happens.
It's a marathon, not a race
I can't do everything for him right now. I will only end up burning him and me out!
Make time for our relationship I need to make sure I'm not so wrapped up in "fixing" him that I sacrifice investing time in our relationship. Remember to celebrate the small wins and not let the set backs ruin our day! There will be days when I wonder will we get through this journey. Then there will be days when something clicks and he gets it! We need to remember to focus on those days!
I and this is an easy one need to remember to love him with all my heart He is amazing and full of potential he just gets where he needs to be differently then most. So he might not be a rocket scientist (I'll never be that either) but what ever he decides to be he'll be awesome and loved!


So I find myself exhaust in absorbing all this! I also find myself frustrated that we've waited so long and now we have to wait longer ....waiting to see our family doctor then waiting to see Dr Tees sets me off. Which I need to think it's ok we will conquer this and it will all work out I just need to remember to breathe.
To my loved ones....just remember I'm mentally exhausted, if I cry don't take it personal and I probably need a lot of hugs so offer them up!! Thank you for your support that I know you will give!


About Central Auditory Processing Syndrome (CAPS) or Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
Auditory processing disorder (APD), also known as central auditory processing syndrome (CAPS), is a complex problem affecting about 5% of school-aged children. These kids can't process the information they hear in the same way as others because their ears and brain don't fully coordinate. Something adversely affects the way the brain recognizes and interprets sounds, most notably the sounds composing speech.
Kids with APD/CAPS often do not recognize subtle differences between sounds in words, even when the sounds are loud and clear enough to be heard. These kinds of problems usually occur in background noise, which is a natural listening environment. So kids with APD/CAPS have the basic difficulty of understanding any speech signal presented under less than optimal conditions.

Symptoms 
·       Easily distracted
·       noisy environments are upsetting
·       behavior and performance improve in quieter settings
·       Difficulty following directions, whether simple or complicated
·       Reading, spelling, writing, and other speech-language difficulties
·       abstract information is difficult for to comprehend
·       verbal (word) math problems are difficult
·       disorganized and forgetful

·       conversations are hard to follow

3 comments:

  1. Robena & Lloyd Clark do not think my comment on your blog went through.

    Michelle Carmichael I checked and I have no comments....

    Robena & Lloyd Clark
    Jonathan is a wonderful, loving, caring boy. I was told for many years how "slow" Aaron was, by some "well-meaning" school officials, but I think he grew up okay. I feel that a child's strong points should be focused on. Not all people were meant to take post-secondary education, be computer whizzes or math geniuses. I used to be friends with a teacher who had a Masters in Special Ed., and she said that was a problem in our school system - we made careers that required us to use our hands or creative abilities seem less worthwhile than careers that required college. She said that this world still needs labourers, artists and mechanics. I always tried to focus on Aaron & Brad's strong points and to let them know that no matter what they decided to do in life I would love them. Jonathan needs for the school system to focus on his tactile abilities. As far as your guilt, you should not feel that way. If the "school system" would pay more attention to information passed on from year to year about children, I feel they would learn more quickly what individual attention a child needs. (Just ask my sister Shelley about that!) Keep loving all your kids and make all your time with each of them special - we don't always have to be teaching them something. YOU ARE A WONDERFUL MOTHER!!! Wish we could be closer, so we could help you more. We would love to help with homework etc. Ask Courtney, Lindsey and Ben about that. Lloyd's Aunt Iris always told me to not worry about housework, but focus on your children while they were with you and wanted your attention. Guess I always did that or at least tried to.

    Michelle Carmichael Honestly I think the system may of failed us because of the wait time! However Jonathan has had nothing but good teachers from SES that worked hard to help him and get him help. Unfortunately their hands are often as tied as ours the parents! He is an awesome guy and only good will come of this, I'm convinced!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robena & Lloyd Clark OH of course it will he is Jonathan first and foremost!

    Michelle Carmichael My boss, whom I love, said to me you know Michelle you may of got this job for that reason alone. To figure out what Jonathan had for a learning difference. I tend to agree because I found out hours before the closing of the job about it so I just got my resume in on the deadline. There were tons of resumes and a lot of interviews and I was chosen. Chance? I don't think so. All things work together for good....I've done a lot of healing since I've been there and have grown a lot as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And most importantly gained the knowledge I needed to help Jonathan be diagnosed!

    ReplyDelete