Monday, February 9, 2009

This is an oldie but I love it! {The Special Place Of My Heart}

The Special Place Of My Heart
I’m walking down Ocean Avenue in Dominion and have just reached the spot where pavement turns to gravel. To my left is the “not so fancy” Protestant grave yard and to my right is the more “substantial” Catholic grave yard…straight ahead is a view of water and sky. I take a right turn at the gate to the Catholic grave yard, with no intention of visiting a grave. I can describe many of the graves and remember stories of the people buried here. I arrive at the Priest’s grave that has become an island in the grave yard road. A large stone marks his grave, modest in comparison to those of early Italian settlers buried here. I walk to the cliff and look over at the shore below. Stretching my eyes as far as I can see, I look first to bridge port and think of the time spent there with friends. They feel very close to my heart as I stand here. I reluctantly shift my gaze to the left, seeing a cliff locally coined “camel’s hump” and Lingan’s Power Plant. I continue on, coming to the high grass and bumpy ground in the swampy area. I take a rough, narrowly trodden path, which brings me to the place where I start to climb down. Inevitably getting my feet wet with slimy swamp water. I stagger in my attempt to get down but steady myself. As I’m descending the bottom of the cliff I start to run to catch my footing, finally I arrive on the shore. I don’t see beautiful white sand here, actually there is barely any sand at all. What I am seeing is amazingly breath-taking, waves smash forcefully against the rocks, reefs and coves. I make my way to “first cove” and sit down. Looking out at the ocean and horizon, I am totally captivated. I shiver, my spirit is warm even though my body is cool from the ocean air. I’ve once again found tranquility, everything is well, I am at peace. Sitting here, the world seems kinder, the hurts smaller and love…love much stronger. The tide is beginning to come in. The waves are starting to splash on my already wet feet, threatening to drench me if I don’t move. If it was warmer I would take up the challenge and stay but I’m already chilled, so I stand and start walking away. I climb a different part of the cliff on my way up, tripping and getting dirt on the leg of my pants. When I arrive at the top I turn and look again at the view, my heart still very warm. I start walking back, passing the Priest’s grave and the gate. The gravel road turns back to pavement and now I’m sitting here again with pen in hand thinking of the beauty of days gone by.
Those Bridge Port Friends....Cathleen, Murray, Aaron & Wayne (LOVE YOU GUYS)

No comments:

Post a Comment