Thursday, August 25, 2011

A hole in your heart, that can't be good!

I was reading my Max Lucado Devotional Bible tonight and there was a portion on “Old Wounds.”
We all have wounds don’t we? At some point in our lives whether we are 5, 55 or 105 someone somewhere along the way has hurt us, has done us wrong. It kind of leaves a whole in our hearts. I love Max’s writing here is his thoughts…
“Do you have a hole in your heart? Perhaps the wound is old…and you’re angry. Or perhaps the wound is fresh…and you’re hurt. Part of you is broken, and the other part is bitter. Part of you wants to cry, and part of you wants to fight. The tears you cry are hot because they come from your heart, and there is a fire burning in your heart. It’s the fire of anger. It’s blazing. It’s consuming. Its flames leap up under a steaming pot of revenge. And you are left with a decision: “Do I put the fire out or heat it up? Do I get over it or get even? Do I release it or resent it? Do I let my hurts heal, or do I let hurt turn into hate?” Are you allowing y our hurts to turn into hate? If so, ask yourself: Is it working? Has your hatred done you any good? Has your resentment brought you any relief, any peace? Has it granted you any joy? Allow the hole in your heart to heal.” - Max Lucado Isn’t he great?? You know the truth is our anger and bitterness generally never hurts or bothers the person or persons it’s directed toward the only person it really hurts is us. It makes the healing process for us next to impossible! Or may I go out on a limb to say impossible! If we want to be emotionally sound, to heal from our hurts then we have to forgive and move on. That way our heart can heal and our life can become complete. Matthew 18:21-35 talks about forgiving others. Peter comes to Jesus and asks how often do I have to forgive a believer who wrongs me? Long story short Jesus tells him seventy times seven. (you do the math that’s almost 500 times) Of course Jesus doesn’t stop there he goes on to tell a parable…Jesus’ parables are my favourite portion of the bible! He says the Kingdom of heaven is like a King who wants to settle his accounts with his servants. So basically one servant owed him a million dollars and that servant begged for mercy and the king gave it to him and totally erased his debt. Then that same servant went away and found a fellow servant that owed him a hundred bucks. He grabs him and starts choking him and telling him PAY ME WHAT YOU OWE ME!!! The second servant then begs the first servant to be patient and have mercy but the first servant wouldn’t and sent the second servant off to jail till he could pay his debt. Another servant that worked with them seen what happened and went and told the King…do you see where this is going? So the King of course was ticked! And he not only told the original servant off for his lack of forgiveness turned him over to the torturers until he could repay everything! Good luck with that! Just saying!
So then Jesus adds: "and that is what my Father in heaven will do if you don’t forgive each other." So basically we’ve been forgiven a lot! So can we try to forgive each other for the offences we’ve dished out. By no means am I saying forgive forget and allow it to be done to you again! AH NO! What I am saying though is forgiveness brings wholeness to our broken hearts. It benefits us more then the one who was forgiven. I have a scar that goes from under my left breast to my back shoulder blade a physical reminder that I once had a hole in my heart and someone went in there and fixed it so I could live. I would like to think I also have a spiritual/emotional scar because someone went in there and fixed my spiritual/emotional hole so I could live in wholeness!

1 comment:

  1. Robena Lloyd Clark
    Great sermon Michelle! Here is a quote from Mark Twain that is good too, "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."

    This is an awesome quote LOVE IT! -Michelle :-)

    ReplyDelete