Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What about pre-school

I understand that it's important for kids to know their ABCs, 123s, how to spell their name and the like....I just wonder are we making our little proverbial sponges into education haters? I mean, lets face it 35 years ago when I went to primary NS {If you are in NB it's called Kindergarten I'm uncertain about the rest of Canada} that is where we learned our basic cognitive skills previously mentioned. Before that we stayed home and played. We played inside we played outside. We used our imagination and learned a lot by imitating Mom and Dad. Now we have our little kiddies learning all their primary cognitive skills before kindergarten....well I have to wonder if at some point it's going to backfire! They now have kindergarten testing before kindergarten and then they suggest that your children work on different skills before entering the school system. If kindergarten is suppose to be the beginning of it all, then why not let them just be kids for awhile? Do you think that if life is all work no play for kiddies under 5 it might turn them off to the whole learning process? I know this rant isn't making a lot of sense perhaps I should of gone to pre-school 36 years ago. I just find sometimes we expect kids to be miniature adults, acting all responsible and educated by 31/2. Is that any better then the olden days when we were suppose to be seen and not heard. Come on adults, do you remember being a kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment